How To Use and Adjust Folding Walking Canes
Posted by Mike Phipps on April 13, 2021
Whether you are thinking of going on your daily stroll to get some fresh air, or coming back from talking the dog for a walk, the last thing you want to worry about is how to fold, or unfold, your walking stick.
Folding walking sticks are easy to fold away when not in use. You can then pop it into a folding walking stick bag or use a folding walking stick clip, to hold them securely together until the next time you want to use it.
We’ve created this handy guide to help you make the most out of your folding walking cane and to provide some simple instructions on how to fold and unfold your walking stick, easily and securely.
How To: Unfold Your Folding Walking Stick
- If you have recently ordered a folding walking stick and this is its first use, ensure that all packaging and tags are removed.
- The stick usually arrives in a clear plastic bag which will hold the stick together in its folded position until it is removed.
- Now, holding the handle of the walking stick, simply dangle the stick down towards the floor and you should see that each of the sections of the folding walking stick click into place, one inside the next. If the sections do not automatically snap together, simply guide them into place, one section inside the next, along the full length of the walking stick.
- To ensure that all the sections are secure and in place, simply tap the ferrule end on to the floor.
It’s as easy as that! Your walking cane is unfolded and ready for use within seconds!
How To: Fold Your Folding Walking Cane
A notable advantage of a folding walking stick is that they can be compactly folded down and very easily stored out of the way when they are not in use.
- To fold your walking stick, or walking aid, hold the stick along its shaft and gently pull the sections apart.
- Fold in half, then bend each segment until they are all in line and resemble what the walking stick looked like before you unfolded it.
- Now you can pop the walking stick into a bag, pocket, or use a folding walking stick clip to keep the walking stick securely folded.
And there you have it! It really is that simple to fold your walking stick.
How To: Adjust The Height Of Your Folding Walking Stick
Adjusting the height of your folding walking stick is also a very straightforward process.
The good news is that once you have adjusted its height to suit your needs, the walking stick can remain in this position, and should not require changing again.
- To adjust, firstly you need to locate the top section of the folding walking stick, the section closest to the handle.
- Once you have found this, you should easily be able to identify a small, brass, or silver-coloured locking security pin/dome that holds the above top part of the stick in place with the next section of stick below it.
- You often find that the collar, at the bottom of the top section of the folding walking stick, needs unscrewing slightly to allow the height to be adjusted – not all folding walking stick have a screw collar to keep the sections securely together, but many do.
- To shorten the height, depress the brass, or silver security locking pin/dome and ease the inner tube downwards until the locking pin engages with the next hole. If you find your folding walking stick is still too high, this process can be repeated until you reach your desired height.
- Once the correct height is achieved, do ensure that the locking pin is fully engaged. If your walking stick does have a screw collar between the first and second sections, it can now be tightened to keep the walking stick sections securely in place.
How To: Calculate The Correct Height?
It is important to ensure that the walking stick is at the correct height for you. If it is either too low, or too tall, then you will either stoop, or have your hand at the incorrect height whilst walking, which could lead to bad posture and an aching back.
We have a handy guide to help you calculate the correct height for your walking stick – simply click here to have a read.
Folding Walking Sticks at Ability Superstore
Here at Ability Superstore, we have an array of beautifully designed folding walking aids that are perfect for every occasion – all year round!
Why not surprise a friend, or a loved one, with a folding walking stick for a gift?
By purchasing an adjustable folding walking stick, you can rest assured knowing your mobility aid is lightweight and easily transportable in a bag and can be compactly stored away when not in use.
If you have any questions, or queries, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly Customer Service team, who will be more than happy to help.
For more information about our folding walking sticks, or some advice and guidance, then please do contact us. You can call us free on 0800 255 0498 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org