The perfect raise height for chairs and beds should make the hip level with the knee.
Furniture raisers are a piece of equipment which are designed to raise the height of a chair, sofa or bed. Raised furniture can make it easier to sit and get up from, if your hips are lower than your knees when you are sitting down, your chair or bed may be too low.
As all castors and furniture legs are load bearing, it is important to ensure that every contact point with the floor is raised to the same height. Be careful not to raise furniture too high as this can make it uncomfortable for the user. There are a variety of versatile chair raisers and bed raisers on the market, once you have the required measurement which will be suitable for the user, it's a case of researching the different styles of raiser to see which one is suitable for your sofa or bed.
How do I measure for chair raisers?
1. Measure the distance from the floor to the back of the knee of the user. Make sure the person is wearing any shoes that they would normally wear around the home (e.g. slippers)
2. Next, you need to measure the height from the floor to the top of the seat when it is depressed as if someone was sitting in it.
3. Finally, subtract the first measurement from the second measurement to give you the measurement of the raise required.
How do I measure for bed raisers?
1. For bed raisers, measure the distance from the floor to the back of the knee of the user.
2. Next, measure the height from the floor to the top of the mattress when depressed, as though someone was sitting on top of it.
3. Finally, subtract the first measurement from the second measurement, this will give you the measurement of the raise you require for the bed.